For most household accidents, follow these spot removal steps:
1. REMOVE any excess solid materials - a spoon is a great tool for this.
2. BLOT (don't scrub or rub) the area with a clean, white cloth or white paper towels to absorb as much liquid as possible. Work from the outside edge of the spot toward the center.
The following tips may help you remove any of the remaining stain:
3. If needed, use WARM WATER to help extract the spill.
4. If the stain is still visible, mix your own HOMEMADE CARPET STAIN REMOVAL SOLUTION. Stir 1/4 teaspoon of mild liquid dish detergent into a quart of warm water. Apply this solution over the stain and let it sit for 5 minutes.
5. BLOT with clean, white towels or white paper towels to absorb the excess water. Cover the stain with layers of white towels and WEIGH the towels down with a heavy object. Leave overnight so the towels will absorb any of the remaining stain. You may have to remove saturated towels and replace with dry ones.
6. REPEAT if necessary. Many stains take time to respond to a cleaning treatment.